Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Progression of #2






When I look back at all the stages of this attempt to do a 'series' from a painting that had been completed a few weeks earlier I realize what not to do next time. I'm thinking it would be a whole lot easier to have an idea first of all and then to begin two or three at the same time and work on them simultaneously.

I struggled to finish this one because I was thinking too much. My usual way of working is not to think at all and just let the painting evolve and that is why, after thinking my way to #4 above I became very unhappy and indecisive and when that happens, out comes the gesso! I almost covered up my three flowers but at the last minute decided to try and save them.

The resulting painting is in a much higher key but they are about winter turning into spring so I might not tone it down (but then again, after a few days I might change my mind and mute the colours a bit). Anyway, it is done.

Now on to complete the two vase paintings!

No comments: