Monday, September 22, 2008

A Productive Stretch



Finally, after a long drought, some new work! The first print is the second run of Textures of Life#2 and the two leaf prints are monotypes. I also have four more leaf monotypes measuring in at 20" x 16" which will frame up nicely in a 27" x 24" frame.

Firstly, I had a lot of ink still on my glass-topped work surface left over from my last printing session which is at least 3 weeks ago! That's the beauty of the Hawthorn inks that I am using from York, U.K. - they are 'open' inks and don't dry up or skin over! Every day I intended to do some more printing but 'life' got in the way or, if I did get the time, I wasn't in the mood. Today, with a drop of linseed oil mixed in, my inks were perfect and I got my second run on plate #2 of a two-plate set done. I think I like it, but won't really know if it is a good one until it is dry and I look at it again matted up and in another room.

My foray into the monotype process took place at a friend's beautiful and spacious studio last week. We worked on gelatin plates with leaves and flowers from her garden using Speedball inks and rollers. It was a lot of fun and a fast process as well. After about 4 hours of fast-paced playing around I came away with quite a large pile of prints on Stonehenge printmaking paper as well as rice paper. As a result, I found two small ones that will frame up to 17" x 12" and four larger ones that will frame up to 27" x 24". I think they will all end up as mixed media with some additional colour added with liquid acrylic paint and some collage elements as well.

Tomorrow I am off to Pakenham and Perth to deliver new paintings to both the Three Yellow Tulips Art Shoppe and the Tay River Gallery. The weather promises to be sunny so I will bring my camera as well in hopes of catching a few interesting fall photos.

My inking table is all cleaned up and polished and ready for some more action. A few new plates have to be constructed first so that is the next project. I will try and be more productive and post again soon.

No comments: